As most of us know, the offseason is often a time for traveling. Whether it’s a “baecation” with just you and your significant other or a family vacation, as women- we need to be prepared for everything. Personally, I tend to over pack but I’m always ready and I love options! There are a few items of importance during offseason travel but before anything else- it is very important to check the weather and culture of your destination in order to pack accordingly. Once that has been done, here is a small guide that has helped me and I hope will help you to pack the right essentials for your trip.
- Dress Code
- During the summer months and pretty much anywhere you travel it will be warm unless you’re intentionally choosing to travel north or somewhere colder than normal. The key is to have an idea of what your plans may be once you arrive to your destination. Most people will head somewhere tropical to enjoy the warm sun and sandy beaches. In that case all you will need are a few bright colored bathing suits and flowy dresses to be as comfortable and cool as possible. A little white dress is great for summer and it’s even better if it falls slightly off the shoulders, that way you can dress it up or down. Depending on the length of your trip I would pack at least two outfits for each day; one for day and another for the night time. If you plan on spending the majority of your time at the beach then make sure you pack a variety of swimsuits as well as a few sexy cover ups and comfortable beach sandals. Anything floral is always a good idea for a tropical vacation.
- Your shoes are just as important as your outfits!
- They can seriously make or break your sanity while traveling. Make sure to pack flats as well as heels for a date night option. It also helps if you pack at least one great pair of running shoes just in case you decide to go for a hike through the rainforest or any other cool excursion. It helps to be prepared and it will definitely decrease your level of stress.
3. My go to beach essentials:
1. Mine include sunscreen, suntan lotion (I prefer the one by Jergens with the added “golden glow”), a pair of oversized sunglasses, and a hat to shield your pretty face from direct sunlight. Now call me crazy but I do wear my foundation on the beach. It actually has SPF so I know pretty well protected AND I can always get some good selfies while I’m out there. Win -Win! Also, remember to keep your skin hydrated in such a warm environment by drinking lots of water. Any body wash that has an extra exfoliation component will help your skin stay smooth and rid you of any dead skin cells you may encounter. At night try to rehydrate your skin from being on the beach by using a shower lotion on your body. I would suggest Olay Ultra Moisture In Shower Body Lotion or Nivea. Both do a great job at hydrating your skin.
- My recommendation is that you twist or braid your hair in a desired style so that you won’t have to worry too much about styling. Putting too much heat in your hair can cause serious damage especially when your hair is getting wet daily (while on vacay.) For my natural hair I use Organic Dry Shampoo and I spritz it with water to keep it hydrated.
- A statement necklace and classic gold pieces with big and bold cocktail rings to match can really bring your outfit to life. Pair your long necklace with your white off the shoulder dress and instantly upgrade your look from “boho to boho chic!” Another great idea is stackable bracelets. I love my Alex and Ani bracelets and they pair well with the rest of my gold accessories. Also, your personal bag or purse. I’ve always thought it was easier to travel with a miniature backpack or a cross body tote. With the backpack you are able to carry a large amount of items including a water bottle (I prefer the glass or stainless steel because they stay cool longer), your makeup bag and other must needed toiletries. The cross body is a good idea when you’re out having lunch, shopping or just exploring. Although it’s smaller than a backpack it is ideal to help keep your hands free so that you can maneuver around much easier and keep up with your children if needed.
- One last thing but still very important is your music. My family loves music so I believe it is necessary to have a few playlists on your phone. One for yourself when you’re relaxing by the pool, which might include Beyoncé or Adele depending on your mood, one for the kids and another playlist for you and your honey. Music is very important when you’re trying to set the mood so don’t skip this step!
Lastly, be sure to try on all your outfits before packing so that you have a sense of what goes with what. This helps so that you don’t over pack items you only hope to wear as opposed to what you will wear. Pack things that will make you feel effortless and comfortable. This is a strategy I learned after having my daughter. When I was in my early 20s, I was able to “eye” a piece of clothing and automatically know how it would fit my body but now that’s impossible. I have to try things on in order to get an understanding of how it will fit and that way I don’t over pack as much. I hope my tips help with your summer plans! ENJOY!